Let’s talk heaven in a dish. I’ve been baking for as long as I can remember – I’m talking rolling out sugar cookie dough to the sound of a record player in the background, kind of long. In other words, I’ve baked more desserts than I can count. This dessert however, will officially be my go to for any event, party, or holiday; it’s that incredible (Thanks to Corey over at Family Fresh Meals).
This is not gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, or fat-free. This cake is not healthy. It’s just that good.
Cannoli Poke Cake
1 Box of White Cake Mix
1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Cup Mascarpone Cheese
1 (14oz) Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, Divided
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Mini Chocolate Chips (I’m not going to tell you how many chocolate chips you should use. I’m your friend, I would never make that decision for you. So just buy a bag, and see where things go from there.)
Powdered Sugar for Dusting
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish according to the white cake mix box. I used a 9×13, but I’m thinking this could be really cute to take to a part in a bundt cake molding. Prepare your cake mix via box instructions (I used Betty Crocker).
- Once baked, allow the cake to cool completely. I jumped the gun and when I went to poke holes in parts of the cake, it wasn’t smooth.
- With a straw, poke holes in the cake about an inch apart, forming rows.
- Pour half of the sweetened condensed milk over the entire cake, allowing it to fill the holes. It may not look pretty, but use a spatula to spread the condensed milk over the top of the cake.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, vanilla, and the remainder of the condensed milk until smooth. This is when my nifty KitchenAid hand mixer (found here) came in great use.
- Add the two cups of powdered sugar to the bowl and mix.
- Once combined, pour the cannoli topping over the cake. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips (I may have used half the bag), and then dust with a little powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately, or you can cover and refrigerate. Honestly, after it’s been sitting in the fridge for a while, it almost tastes like a tres leches cake. #amazing
Tips for enjoying this manna from heaven: Wear sweatpants, don’t stand on the scale the next day, and partner it with a glass of milk.
Want to know what’s been going on lately? “Like” Amber Lately on Facebook! Better yet, subscribe to the blog and we can become email BFFs.
If you feel like taking our newly established virtual friendship to the next level, feel free to follow along on Instagram and Twitter as well!